"Because Switzerland is small, neutral, and has a mix of cultures, it perfectly supports this competitive advantage of ours."
International Institute for Management Development (IMD)
The joy of learning
Lausanne, the capital of the canton of Vaud, is a major university town and a centre of research and education of international scope.
No matter whether you are an employer looking for trained staff, a professional wanting to complete your education, a company seeking to collaborate in top-drawer university research, or even an expatriate looking to put your children through school, you will find schools and universities with a global standing and reputation in the canton of Vaud.
Some examples? IMD, a business school on a par with Harvard and INSEAD (Paris), whose MBA programmes are ranked among the best in the world by BusinessWeek and the Financial Times year after year. The EPFL, whose excellence in the fields of science and engineering helped to bring victory to the yachtsmen of Team Alinghi in the 2003 and 2007 America's Cup. The ECAL, recently also named by U.S. magazine BusinessWeek one of the best schools of applied art and design on the planet. Or even Lausanne Hotel School (EHL), the premier and most prestigious educational establishment in the hotel trade and receptionist professions.
- Lausanne (UNIL-EPFL): the largest university campus in Switzerland (with some 30,000 students, researchers, and staff), is also home to the Swiss Tech Convention Center, the Rolex Learning Center, and the Center for Sports and Health.
- One university (UNIL), one federal institute of technology (EPFL), ten universities of applied sciences (HES) and over 200 vocational training programs.
- EPFL: 2nd place in Europe in the Shanghai ranking of technological universities (2013)
- A highly skilled workforce: 20% of the population has had higher education (university, HES)
- A free public education system of a very high quality by international standards(www.avdep.ch)
- Fifty private schools, the majority with an excellent international reputation
no news in this list.