What's the best way to find a job?
There are several different ways to find a job in the canton of Vaud, including:
- Replying to situations vacant advertised in the daily papers (24 Heures or Le Temps, which has a weekly employment supplement) or small ads
- Replying to situations vacant advertised on specialist websites like:
- Registering with a private employment agency or headhunter. The following are the main employment agencies operating in the canton:
- Registering with a regional employment centre, which is a public placement organisation (go to: www.job-area.ch)
- Visiting the careers section on the homepages of companies that interest you or submitting an unsolicited application
If you are an apprentice, the homepage of the Vaud Department of Education and Youth offers an exchange for apprenticeships and first jobs (www.orientation.vd.ch).
Non-Swiss nationals wishing to work in Switzerland are required to obtain a work permit (please refer to "Work permits"). This can be requested by the employer, provided the relevant conditions are met.
Content of an application file
When you apply for a job in Switzerland, you will normally submit an application file comprising:
- a cover letter
- a curriculum vitae (CV)
- copies of your work experience certificates
- copies of your graduation or apprenticeship certificates
- copies of your ongoing training diplomas or certificates
The homepage of the Swiss Directorate of Labour (SECO) www.job-area.ch provides plenty of advice for people looking for work, information on the regional employment centres (ORP) and plenty of situations vacant.
Service de l'emploi du canton de Vaud
Rue Caroline 11
Tel : ++ 41 21 316 61 04
Fax : ++ 41 21 316 60 36
E-mail : info.sde(at)vd.ch