Residence and work permits

Any foreigner wishing to live in Switzerland must be in possession of a temporary of permanent residence permit, no matter whether the intention is solely be domiciled in Switzerland or take up gainful employment.

As employers, international institutions are subject to Swiss legislation governing the employment of foreign nationals.

For more information on Swiss law regarding residence and work permits, please refer to the section entitled "Residence and work permits" under Enterprises – Establishment.

Special terms for international institutions

When managers or highly trained specialists who are nationals of a country that is not a member of the European Union (EU) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) are hired, the canton of Vaud does not ask international institutions established within its jurisdiction to prove that they have attempted to find a suitable native worker on the European employment market.

Furthermore, any foreigner wishing to take up employment with an international institution established in the canton of Vaud does not need to submit a personal request for permission to enter Switzerland to a Swiss embassy. It is enough for the hiring institution to submit the request to the relevant authority.


Service de la population
Division Etrangers

Av. de Beaulieu 19
1014 Lausanne

Tel : ++41 21 316 46 46
Fax : ++41 21 316 46 45
E-mail : info.etrangers(at)


no news in this list.